The summer of 2017 was extra special for me. Getting selected to GSoC for the first time and the organization being FOSSASIA made the opportunity much more valuable. During the period I was working on an open source hardware platform which enables school children, teachers, undergraduates and even electronic hobbyists to overcome the issue of having costly electronic measurement and debugging tools in their scientific experiments and projects.
Pocket Science Lab by FOSSASIA integrates commonly used electronic equipments such as Oscilloscope, Signal Generator, Logic Analyzer in a lab and even a connectivity to common I2C sensors into a pocket sized device using a PIC micro-controller. The functionalities can be accessed using a dektop application or an Android application.
The project consisted of three repositories which I had to work on. PSLab Android, PSLab Hardware and PSLab Firmware. The major outcome of the project was to develop an Android application with the similar functionalities as the PSLab Desktop application and improve the existing PSLab hardware and firmware. During the first month, I was giving priority to enhance the PSLab firmware using MPLab IDE used to program PIC micro-controllers and adding features to the PSLab hardware schematics using KiCAD; an open source ECAD software tool. In the latter two months, I was working on developing the Android application with fellow developers. At the end of GSoC we were able to deliver a functional Android application.
I got an amazing chance to work with a great development team during the summer; Akarshan, Asitava, Jithin and Vivek. The mentors from FOSSASIA were really interactive and responsive. It was the combined effort which made GSoC '17 a great unforgettable summer with lots of experience!
Find all the pull requests I made to the following repositories
Find all the individual commits I made to the following repositories
Find all the records related to my daily contribution to the project from the daily scrum reports posted in the pslab google group.
Read all the blog posts by me hosted in FOSSASIA blog related to technologies I've learnt through out the summer by joining the PSLab project.
An extravagenza held in Singapore where innovators and startups meet together to present their ideas. PSLab was presented at the event.
Find the official web page of Pocket Science Lab!
Find the Facebook page of Pocket Science Lab!
Find the complete project on GSoC 2017 web site!
Screencast on PSLab
Find the PSLab desktop application!
Find the slide presentation on PSLab device!
The application supports 71 experiments using the PSLab device. There are a few experiments yet to be implemented related to Add-On Modules and Physics Experiments. Also users can be able to design an experiment on their own using the Design Experiments section and that section requires development.
I introduced myself to the community and got to know fellow developers. Some of the software tools such as KiCAD was new to me. I spent my time to install them and got to know how to work with these tools and brushed up my knowledge on the supportive programming languages and tools.
Meanwhile in the Android application, I developed the grid view for Applications layout and fixed the orientation issues it had. Optimizations were done to improve application performance.
Work related to firmware and hardware also started. As the initial step I've began to modularize the existing firmware to application specific modules.
Continued with creating seperate modules in the PSLab firmware. In the hardware schematics, implemented an enhanced oscillator and finalized the voltage regulator. The space on the pcb layout was optimized so that new components can be placed easily. In the Android repository, began working on porting functionalities in the python repository and tested slider bars to be implemented in the relevant UIs.
I received myself a PSLab device. So I went on fixing issues related to UI and functionalities in the PSLab Android application along with the ones occured in relevance to Butterknife. Also I continued with the work I was doing to making modules in the PSLab firmware.
I've continued with the final steps in creating modules in firmware and began moving onto the Android app, giving it more proirity. I fixed device compatibility issues along with issues related to UI and functionalities in the PSLab Android application.
It was the continuation of work done related to functionalities and UI implementations in Logic Analyzer, Control and Saved Experiments activites and the existing issues. Makerfairer Singapore was held during this period and I participated in it to present PSLab to young developers and innovators thanks to FOSSASIA team!
Began implementing experiments using the Android application and completed experiments related to BJTs and FETs and started up working on School Level experiments while working on exisiting issues in both functionalities and UIs.
Started working on experiments related to Miscellaneous Experiments and continue with School Level experiments. In the meantime minor issues were addressed. An alpha version of the Android application was published in Google Play Store.
I will continue working on and improving the PSLab project.